Monday, June 9, 2008

Weekly Update 6-7-08

It is Monday evening and I want to connect with the rest of the world before retiring for another day. Weekly events returned somewhat to our pre Temple Prep status. We have added a couple of new wrinkles. I have started working with Justus at Kyambeke to finish his CES requirements for a certificate of completion for the Missionary Preparation course. He had previously attended 8 of the 18 lessons and although I am comfortable he is ready to serve now having several course completion certificates for Seminary/Institute courses is helpful for obtaining Visas as a missionary in most of the African Nations. We are scheduling his medical and dental exams here in Nairobi for mid July and hope to be able to apply for his passport by then. In addition we are starting a teacher development class for several new teachers at Kyambeke.

Ilima had their Branch Conference yesterday which was under the direction of President Taylor and extra meetings kept us there until about 3:30 which meant it was dark by the time we arrived home last night. Elder and Sister Elam who are currently serving as the office couple wanted to ride up with us and see what the area was like so we did have some company for the long trip/hours yesterday.

As many of you know I marked my 60th year on planet earth last Thursday. Sister Bishop made a cake and we had the other couples over for cake and ice cream that evening. I do appreciate the remembrances of folks back home in the way of phone calls, e-mails, and I even scored a couple of goodies at our APO box at the Embassy today. Funny how 60 years of age is not near as old as I used to think it was. Also 60 marks that magical period when the government can no longer involuntarily call me back to active service. I had never worried that something like that might happen but it is somewhat comforting to know that this retirement is definitely permanent now.

Things are certainly getting drier here each day. We had driven in dust clouds so much this week that the vehicle had taken on a reddish hue before David washed it today. They try and keep water on the deviations but it sure don't take long for the earth around the flat areas to suck up the moisture.

Well that is pretty much it for another week. Besides it is now 10:00pm and I don't stay up much later than that and often retire earlier so that I will be alert for the 6+ hours of driving most days. I am usually pretty well beat when we arrive home as these driving conditions are pretty trying. I am glad for a divine co-pilot to get me through that portion of each day we spend on the roads or their substitutes here.

Elder & Sister Bishop

No comments: