Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Weekly Update 2-10-09

It is 4:30 Tuesday morning. The internet devoured my update when I tried to send it last evening and it wont allow me to access it this morning so I am typing this into the Word Program with the hope that I can send it upon our return home this evening. There were no big new and startling events this week just a lot of the same work we have been involved in all along. If I can figure out how to do it I hope to send a copy of the February calendar before the week is out to document what our time was like while here. In case the readers of these weekly updates haven’t stumbled to my methods here I am for the first time in my life trying to keep a journal as we are so often counseled to do. This procrastinator is hoping that the “Big Guy” will allow me to check the block for that assignment with these efforts.


I continue to make the additional Saturday trip to work with the kids tied up in school on the weekdays. Sister Bishop gave up the joys of laundry and house cleaning to accompany me this week but has determined that she will stay and enjoy the drudgery of house hold chores rather than the rigors of the trip for the balance of the month. One of the Branch Missionaries will accompany me this Saturday and the Assistants will go for baptismal interviews the following week. We keep having more people show up for the missionary lessons each week so hope to be able to have a baptismal service on the 28th upon our return from Johannesburg and the Temple that week.


We finished up all the paperwork for Visas which is the last hurdle for the Temple trip. Now we just spend time trying to calm nerves and fears. When the biggest event in your life to date is a matatu ride to Nairobi, an international flight to a foreign country can be somewhat intimidating. It is more than just a little humbling to see these folks react to the housing and in-door kitchen with amenities such as a microwave that is provided at the patron housing in Johannesburg. It keeps reminding me that where much is given much is expected. I hope our efforts here somewhat balance the scale for all the blessings I have received in my life.


Our FHE this week was a viewing of “A Giant Among Men” the Gordon B Hinckley movie that one of the couples had received for Christmas. For treats we had root beer floats which can only be made with extract from home laced with club soda. Just 4 ½ months and we can go back to drinking the real stuff again. Root Beer is only available in the commissary at the embassy here and that is only available to embassy employees and their families which just makes it another one of those American Amenities that we do with out for a short while. I wonder if it is available on the other side of the vail?


We had a little rain again this week which besides making for a very dirty vehicle gives hope of a good rainy season which is the best solution to the drought and famine that is somewhat prevalent at present. A few more bodies were found in the clean up process of the Naukamatt fire here in Nairobi and several more of the injured from the tanker fire up-country passed so that the fatality count has now surpassed 150. Several countries are sending in plastic surgeons to assist in the care of the living fire casualties.


Well that is pretty much a recap of life here this past week so I will close once again and finish my preparations for another day on this side of the world. Hope all is well there and that everyone has an enjoyable Valentine’s Day. Just know that I love “My Special Valentine” and appreciate being here with her now. I love her for putting up with me and the rest of this mob we call a family and know that none of us would be much without her.


Have a great week!

No comments: